The contemporary remake of Nigel Kneale's seminal series of 1953 was transmitted live (like the original) on BBC4, in April 2005. Jason Flemyng (the son of Gordon Flemyng, director of both Dalek films) became the seventh actor to portray Professor Bernard Quatermass. It was during rehearsals that David Tennant (pictured, here playing Dr. Briscoe) was offered the role of the Tenth Doctor, but his casting was only announced two weeks after transmission. In the live broadcast, Flemyng even changed Quatermass' first line to Briscoe to "Good to have you back Doctor" from the scripted "Gordon"!
Six other Doctor Who cast connections here are:
- Mark Gatiss (Paterson) - scripted for television were three Doctor Who Night sketches (BBC2, 1999), The Unquiet Dead, The Idiot's Lantern, The Lazarus Experiment (in which he starred as Richard Lazarus), Victory of the Daleks (with an uncredited role as 'Danny Boy'), Night Terrors, and forthcoming episodes, The Crimson Horror and The Cold War, with a further appearance in The Wedding of River Song as Gantok (and reprising 'Danny Boy') - written for Big Finish were Phantasmagoria (also voicing the part of Jasper Jeake) and Invaders from Mars (which he also directed), whilst playing Walter Schwieger for The Sirens of Time (1999), Karl Hendryk for The Mutant Phase (2000), Thinnes for Sword of Orion, Vincenzo for The Stones of Venice (both 2001), and the Master for Unbound: Sympathy for the Devil (2003) - penned for Virgin's New Adventures were Nightshade (1992) and St. Anthony's Fire (1994), and The Roundheads (1997) and Last of the Gaderene (2000 and 2013) were later published by BBC Books
- Adrian Dunbar (Lomax) voiced McCarthy for Brave New Town (BF, 2008)
- Indira Varma (Judith) was Suzi Costello in the first series of Torchwood
- Andrew Tiernan (Caroon, pictured left) was Jim Purcell in Night Terrors
- Isla Blair (Blaker) was Lady Isabella Fitzwilliam in The King's Demons, and voiced Paula for Exotron (BF, 2007)
- Greg Bennett (Journalist) was both a Sycorax Warrior and a UNIT Soldier in The Christmas Invasion, and a Guest in The Lazarus Experiment