Released in 1956, this British feature was another Hammer Film production which marked the company's transition from a maker of B-movies to purely science fiction and horror fare.
X: The Unknown was intended as a direct sequel to The Quatermass Xperiment (1955), but writer Nigel Kneale refused permission to use his character here. American Oscar winning actor Dean Jagger was then cast as nuclear scientist, Dr. Adam Royston, a role clearly influenced by Professor Quatermass.
Shown on BBC Two on Sunday, the film starred child actor Frazer Hines (pictured as Ian Osborn) and seven other future Doctor Who cast connections:
- William Lucas (Elliott) played Range in Frontios
- John Harvey (Major Cartwright) was Professor Brett in The War Machines, and Officia in The Macra Terror
- Kenneth Cope (Sapper) was Packard in Warriors' Gate
- Edwin Richfield (Burnt Soldier) was Captain Hart in The Sea Devils, and Mestor in The Twin Dilemma
- Neil Hallett (Unwin) was Maylin Renis in Timelash
- Brian Peck (First Soldier) was Dervish in The Space Pirates
- Neil Wilson (Russell) was Seeley in Spearhead from Space