Marple was loosely based on Agatha Christie's fiftieth
novel, published in 1958.
Ordeal By Innocence, which did not actually feature
the character of Miss Marple (again played here by Geraldine McEwan), was one of the author's favourite
works and is now considered a classic of the genre.
The book has also been adapted for cinema, stage,
radio, and even as a graphic novel. This serial
(originally shown in June 2007) was repeated again
on ITV3 today, and starred thirteen Doctor Who cast
and crew connections:
- Camile Coduri (Mrs. Lindsay) played Jackie Tyler in Rose, The End of the World, Aliens of London, World War Three, Father's Day, The Parting of the Ways, The Christmas Invasion, New Earth, Rise of the Cybermen, The Age of Steel, Love & Monsters, Army of Ghosts, Doomsday, Journey's End and The End of Time - she reprised that role for Big Finish releases The Ninth Doctor Chronicles, The Lives of Captain Jack and Infamy of the Zaross (all 2017)
- Tom Riley (Argyle) was Robin Hood in Robot of Sherwood
- Gugu Mbatha Raw (Tina) was Martha Jones' sister Tish in Smith and Jones, The Lazarus Experiment, The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords
- Reece Shearsmith (Inspector Huish) depicted Patrick Troughton in An Adventure in Space and Time, and Rassmussen in Sleep No More
- Julian Rhind Tutt (Dr. Calgary) voiced Lexhan for The Paradise of Death
- Greg Bennett (Constable) was both a Sycorax Warrior and a UNIT Soldier in The Christmas Invasion, and an uncredited Guest in The Lazarus Experiment
- Burn Gorman (Jacko) was Torchwood series regular, Owen Harper
- Bryan Dick (Micky) voiced the Exec for Theatre of War (BF, 2015)
- for Damien Timmer, Michael Pickwoad, Ben Ashmore, Jason Gill and Nigel Squibbs see my other Marple blogs
Released in 1985, the film version of Ordeal By Innocence starred Donald Sutherland, Faye Dunaway and ten other Doctor Who guest actors (Diana Quick, Annette Crosbie, Michael Maloney, Anita Carey, Ron Pember, Brian Glover, Kevin Stoney, Billy McColl, Rocky Taylor and Martin Grace).
The BBC Radio 4 adaptation (broadcast in March 2014) featured Michael Bertenshaw (The Next Doctor), and Georgie Fuller (Damaged Goods).