Monday 28 August 2023

Growing-Up With The Doctor, Part 2: The Eighties


My childhood in the 1970's was defined by that great Doctor Who
companion, Target books. These adapted TV stories have influenced
 a whole generation of children, and they are responsible for
introducing me to the TV series too. 
It was in the early 1980's however, that my lifelong obsession began
 in earnest. At home we had a big, wooden-cased, colour TV set that 
didn't even have a remote control! My television landscape was made
up of kids shows like Grange Hill, Saturday sports coverage, and
family viewing like The Generation Game, Wurzel Gummidge,
Bullseye, and The Muppet Show. I suspect that my first contact with 
televised Doctor Who was either through post-Grandstand trailers, 
or via Blue Peter. It wasn't typical viewing in our household because 
my dad hated Doctor Who, and it's genre in particular. I'd therefore 
catch most episodes from the comfort of my own refuge, the bedroom 
I shared with my two younger brothers, also vehement anti-Who
I remember when our grandmother bought a portable black & white 
TV for us to share, but since they preferred to play-out I could usually 
watch stuff in peace.
My initial memories of Doctor Who are quite vague, but I do recall
being blown-away by the series of repeats shown in 1981 to celebrate
the debut of the Fifth Doctor. The Five Faces of Doctor Who season
comprised stories from each previous Doctor's eras: An Unearthly
Child, The Krotons, Carnival of Monsters, The Three Doctors and
 Logopolis.
I'd read about such classics in The Making of Doctor Who, but this
was the first time I'd ever seen any past Doctor, and it was a
revelation.
 So I'd watched some of Tom Baker's final season (I especially
recall the Marshmen rising from the swamps in Full Circle),
witnessed my first regeneration, and the new Doctor was now on
TV twice a week. Peter Davison quickly became my Doctor, and
for me, the ultimate 'magic moment' of his tenure is the reveal of
the Cybermen at the climax of Earthshock, part one. I was hooked,
and still am!

No comments:

Post a Comment